Wednesday 23/03/2011; 10am – 18pm
Balzaal Vooruit / Ghent (Belgium)
|UPDATE: The conference has been documented in its entirety on DVD. The DVD's are available in the library of theatre studies. They cannot be loaned but can be watched in the library itself.|
Conference presented by Ghent University’s S:PAM (Studies in Performing Arts and Media) and Kunstencentrum Vooruit, as a part of the third festival “The Game is Up!”. The conference will be held in English.
Concept: Katharina Pewny, Christel Stalpaert / Dep. of Theatre, Performance and Media Studies, Ghent University
Organization: Jeroen Coppens, David Depestel / Dep. of Theatre, Performance and Media Studies, Ghent University, Vooruit / Tom Bonte
See the Vooruit website for the entire programme of the festival.
For the latest news and updates, follow S:PAM on facebook!
09.30h - 10.00h: Registration
10.00h : Welcome + Introduction of the festival by Tom Bonte (Vooruit)
10.15h : Introduction by Christel Stalpaert & Katharina Pewny (S:PAM, Ghent University)
10.30h - 12h : The Ambiguous Spectator (Chair: Katharina Pewny)
- Bram Van Oostveldt (University of Amsterdam) and Stijn Bussels (University of Leiden): Spectacles and Sensation: The Desire for Experience in 19th-Century Visualisations of History
- Evelien Jonckheere (Ghent University): How well-behaved was the audience anno 1895? A comparative analysis of variety theatre and conventional theatre in Ghent.
- Artist talk by Sarah Vanagt about 'Just Fabric' (Work in Progress)
12.00h - 13.00h: lunch
13.00h - 15.15h: New Media challenging the Eye (chair: Sofie Verdoodt)
- 13.00h - 14.00h:
- Jeroen Coppens (Ghent University): Performing the Trompe-l’oeil. Baroque immersive strategies in contemporary performing arts.
- Artist talk by Ariane Loze about 'MÔWN' (2009), 'Hinterhof' (2011) and Vantage Point (Work in Progress)
- 14.10h - 15.10h
- Rosemary Klich (University of Canterbury): Systems of Spectatorship: Presence, Play, and Performance in Blast Theory's Games.
- Artist talk by C&H about ‘We have no Choice’ (performance of ‘The Game is Up’-festival)
- 15.20h - 16.00h: Book presentations by Katharina Pewny and Frederik Le Roy
Katharina Pewny, The Drama of the Precarious. On the Return of Ethics in Theatre and Performance.
Frederik Le Roy, Nele Wynants, Dominiek Hoens, Robrecht Vanderbeeken (eds.), Tickle Your Catastrophe!, Ghent: Academia Press, 2011
16.00h - 16.30h: coffee break
16.30h - 18.00h : Encountering Public Spaces: Shifting Loci of Looking (chair: Chirstel Stalpaert)
- Maaike Bleeker (Utrecht University): The Locus of Looking Revisited.
- Artist talk by An van Dienderen (KASK) about ‘Translation Booth (Scattering of the Fragile Cherry Blossoms - Part II)’
- Artist talk by Ant Hampton about “Autotheatre” (‘Etiquette’, ‘The Quiet Volume’ & ‘The Bench’. The performance s are part of ‘The Game is Up’-festival)
18.00h-18.15h: Concluding words
In the frame of The Game is Up, there are installations by amongst others Nikolaus Gansterer, and performances by Ant Hampton, C&H, Antoine Defoort, Miet Warlop, Teodora Castellucci,... For tickets and info, surf to Vooruit.be.